The deadline for the Canadian ELD mandate is June 2021. Although it’s over a year until you need to ensure you have a certified ELD solution, it’s important to find a solution that works well with you so your Drivers will understand how to navigate through it and your administrators will understand the back-end of the solution.
If you run a Canadian business that already travels to the US, then you know already that you must have an ELD solution implemented in your fleet. The US mandated ELD on December 16th, 2019. Prior to this they had a grandfather clause to help transition the use of paper logs to ELD. However for Canadian companies entering this mandate with no experience, we understand it can be overwhelming. Here’s a brief outline of what ELD is and how you will benefit from implementing a certified solution:
- ELD stands for Electronic Logging Device
- It replaces the traditional use of paper logbooks, which were easy to alter the information by the Driver
- It was officially mandated in the US on December 16th, 2019
- You should still use paper logs as a back up in case a technical glitch occurs with your solution
- ELD logs are based off information pulled from the vehicle’s ECM (electronic computer module)
The benefits of ELD are endless but you need to focus on ensuring you are prepared and can use the solution with ease.