Canada’s electronic logging device (ELD) deadline of June 12, 2021 has come and gone, but…
Oh November, the month of cooling down, slowing down and counting down…to Christmas that is of course. But November also comes with its fair share of dreadful events, and you know exactly what I’m talking about. Snow! Yes, we said it, don’t get mad, it’s just the reality of the month, and the months to follow.
Snow is a pain. There’s really nothing great about extending your commute time or having to wear layers upon layers of clothing just to get to your car. But there’s one person everyone normally loves when the first snowfall hits, and that is the snowplowers. You clean our streets and make it easier for us to get around after a dreadful snowfall, but does anyone ever think about the companies in charge of this, and how much organization goes into ensuring our streets are well maintained? Well, we do! That’s why we’re here to give you some pointers on how a GPS solution and snowplows are like a good cup of hot chocolate and marshmallows… sure they’re tasty on their own, but together, they’re a force to be wreckened with! Same goes for a GPS solution and snowplows, and here’s why:
- Efficient Scheduling. With a GPS solution implemented in your snowplows you’ll be able to know what section of the cities have been plowed and which ones haven’t. It allows your company to cover more areas, making you more productive.
- It lowers the costs of any maintenance issues that could arise. Although we can’t guarantee that a GPS solution will eliminate any surprise maintenance needs, we do allow you to be proactive in the health of your fleet by setting preventative maintenance schedules.
- Billing issues? Not anymore. A GPS solution will track when plows start and when they finish. Set up a geofence around your customer yards and track when the plow enters or leaves that area.
- One of the most important benefits is the increase in the safety of your fleet. Snowstorms can be very dangerous, and some people can find it quite frightening to drive in that kind of weather. But for snowplows it’s your job. Having a GPS solution will ensure all safety precautions are taken. For instance, ensuring the Driver is wearing his seatbelt, isn’t speeding, and if it’s an extreme case and there’s whiteout conditions, you’ll now be able to direct your snowplow through the snow from one simple platform.
- Last but not least, you optimize the utilization of your snowplows. With reports like hours worked, you’ll know which snowplows have been on the road and for how long. Plows that have been out for too long can return to the shop, to reduce the risk of fatigue prone accidents occurring.
The list is endless for all the benefits that a GPS solution can provide your snowplows. Start implementing a solution today and see the difference it makes for yourself.